Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sweet Moments

With little drama happening I have taken a break from writing and just appreciated living a little more normally. I guess if living 3 hours away from your family in a hospital apartment is normal, but at least there have been less life and death events in the last two weeks.
So, the first time we saw Michael's actual doctor in clinic and we asked if we could go home for the weekend, she told us after he got sent home for good. That they didn't recommend that he go home at all until then. We felt a little let down, pondered it a little and decided that sanity was part of your health so we went home any way. We were able to spend the last two weekends at home. It has been soooo nice!!! But this week is a little different. The last two weeks Michael has been doing perfectly in terms of no new problems or really anything other than just getting stronger, however this week has throw a twist, not sure what to think of it. I think the doctors are thinking it may be osteonecrosis, since he had it last time he was sick, but it is looking a little different, severe pain in some of his joints. We may have to stick around here, since if it gets really bad and he needs immediate medical attention we would have to drive straight back to Calgary to get it. I guess we will see. He has felt a little discouraged, since it seemed to be going so well and then .... I can't even begin to process anything else going wrong.
I was wondering why when they test his blood, they are telling me that his blood counts, are for the most part normal now, why we have to be so concerned about him getting sick?? Clearly I am not a doctor. She kindly explained how Michael's immune system is less developed than a new baby's and may need help and protection for a while, even though his blood counts were normal there were lots of other parts to his immune system, and he had virtually been exposed to nothing, like a baby, so he would be susceptible to everything, because this immune system has never been exposed to anything. HE even has to get all his immunizations again. Well, now I know and will continue to be vigilant.
But on the lighter side he felt well enough to get out of this apartment today, even with his pain, and to go to my sister, Cindy's house, where we had great food,and great company, Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie DeAnna, Andrea, and Cindy's kids. That is what family is for. What a nice break from this sterile feeling apartment. Although it probably isn't all that sterile. It just feels like it, since the view from our 14 floor window looks right into the 5th floor of the hospital where Michael was staying. Sometimes, we can even see which nurses are on in the evening when it gets dark outside.
So, next Tuesday is a bone marrow biopsy, and if that is well we get to go home the following Tuesday.
As for the family at home. I think they have been held in the Lord's hand. I almost think that maybe they are doing better than if I had been home. Jim has done an amazing job. Shae's marks have shot up to honor roll status. Lindi is happy and more confident. It almost seems like maybe they don't need me after all. Well, I am grateful for small miracles, good people who have helped to make all of this easier at both ends and most of all the grace of the Lord that held us all and left us coming out of this better than we went in. That doesn't even sound like it should be what I am saying, but it is true. We have made amazing friends, both here and there, discovered how much our family means to us, both immediate and extended, discovered a confidence and strength we didn't know we, individually and collectively as a family had, and found a peace in what ever the moment brings. It seems amazing that something so hard could bring such goodness to us. Thank goodness the God controls everything cause if we had had a choice, I am pretty sure this would not been on our list of things I would really like to do this year. But I am grateful for all the goodness that came out of it and now I wouldn't change it, cause I wouldn't want to give all the sweet moments back with the hard ones.

No comments: