Yesterday started as normal as any other day. I decided to bring Michael a popsicle, in hopes that it was maybe something he could get down, as the last couple of days have entailed severe nausea and vomiting. I noticed that Michael wasn't in his room, so I stopped to put his popsicle in the fridge and had a chance to stop and visit with a young couple, Tim and Krista I had met a few weeks earlier. They were sharing some of the resources that they had found helpful in the within alternative medicine, approved by a doctor that has provided strength and support to Tim at this time. I of course am and have always been interested in credible alternative medicine. I went back to Michael's room to find it still empty. He had gone for an MRI of his head; the doctors still trying to determine what happened on Wednesday. He returned in short order and was again not feeling well, nausea, and fatigue. The numbness that had characterized the episode on Wednesday returned. The doctors were close and got in right away, sent for the stroke team, but it resolved without affecting his speech. I was happy about that.....however about 5 minutes later his other side started going numb and this then continued until it affected his speech. It seem to resolve fairly quickly with about 10 minutes, except when the stroke doctor came it became apparent that Michael was getting quite confused and not able to execute normal ordinary requests. He would forget where he was and why he was here, and then remember a few minutes later. His nausea increased to severe and included regular vomiting for a good part of the rest of the day. He began to have severe head pain as well. At this point in time, they wanted to send him for and EEG, study of his brain waves, probably good timing as what ever was happening he was right in the middle of. He was crying and begging me to call someone to give him a blessing. I called David, as I know his schedule is usually flexible enough that he can get away if need be. He agreed to come, much to Michael's relief. Michael was also getting quite anxious as well. We headed down for the test. Whatever was happening...man the got the real picture....Michael was confused uncooperative crying, scared and couldn't stop moving. They are trying to get these electrodes hooked up to his head. They got one side down, with a lot of difficulty, but Michael refused to turn over and let her do the other side. The worst part was the technician was kind of an anxious person and Michael was pretty anxious himself and she just kept talking and talking and I am thinking "Stop talking and just do what you need to" Finally Michael says "Would you just stop talking!" It was a slightly amusing moment, but she couldn't stop, she tried I know she did, but her anxiety got the best of her. About this time DAvid showed up and we asked her nicely to leave so we could settle Michael down and give him a blessing. It took some coaxing, a little bit of physical help from David , but we finally got him turned. I pulled his blanket back so he could turn and he grabbed and said"Don't take my blanket" AT which time I told him that I would give it back when he turned over. HE was crying don't do this. I just need a moment. WE persisted and finally accomplished our mission, but the struggle was not over yet. Michael struggled to stay still and the electrodes kept falling off. The poor anxious technician was having trouble figuring out how to handle this. Finally her supervisor came in and took charge, told her what to do, got her started on the computer recording part of the EEG, while he tried to finish getting Michael set up, and calmed down. The funniest part of the whole thing was when he finally told her to be quiet. After all was said and done, they got what they needed much to my relief, and probably theirs as well. Later in the evening one of the nurses came with orders to draw more blood as the EEG came back with some abnormalities. I would hope so, cause his brain wasn't acting what looked like normal for certain!
He finally, after getting some gravol, on top of a couple of other anti- nausea meds started to settled and fell into a deep sleep.
Later the doctor comes in and tells us that Michael has a large clot 3cmx3cm in his heart. Being as I didn't understand the implications I waited before getting too worried, as they were running a number of other tests, including a cardiac MRI. They whisked him off here and there, took blood about 4 different times, started medication for the clot, stopped it, sent a cardiac specialist in. AT the end of the day, Michael's doctor came in to tell us the updated after all the tests, well turns out what they thought was a clot was not and so the seriousness of the situation changed very quickly. Of course they still do not know what is wrong, but all of the things that aren't wrong are the things that we don't want to be wrong. So at the end of the day. Michael ate three meals didn't throw up today, and doesn't have a blood clot in his heart. He is ready to get some sleep and work on getting out of here for good.
8 years ago



2 comments:
Wow. What a whirlwind you live in and I thought my day was bad. Note to self. Read Terri's Blog when I think my life is rough! Thank you Terri! Prayers are still coming from Arkansas several times a day for you all!
It is a different world there on the fifth floor. I pray for strength for you, for Michael (both) and for everyone else who is living in that reality.
Post a Comment