Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Where's House when you need him????

Here on the bone marrow transplant unit, there are no normal days. Everything here is serious and they move fast when something presents itself. So yesterday Michael and I go for a little walk around the unit, but he wasn't feeling to good, so we headed back after a lap. Back at the room, he started vomiting, .....OK so that has become kind of normal. I didn't think too much of it, but a minute later his nurse was in checking vital signs and stuff and he announced that his right arm was going numb, kind of weird.....She started asking a bunch of question, checking, checking to rule out anything serious. She left and about 2 minutes later he started slurring his words and having trouble talking. Well, I know enough to know that all of those together are signs of a stroke, so I dashed out and grabbed his nurse, in about two minutes we had 4 nurses and 3 doctors, a ct scan of his head booked, the stroke and neurology team notified and within another 5 one of the neurology team had appeared. They raced around for a couple of hours running tests and comparing notes, only to decide they didn't know why he had what looked like a stroke. So, the quest for answers begins. More tests today and tomorrow until they uncover the mystery. Heart tests, blood tests, EKG, echocardiogram. Within half an hour of the original problem it disappeared, he was talking normally and had only a little right side weakness and facial drop, which disappeared with in an hour. His nurse said today as she was running more tests, "We need House to help figure this out."

See, House always figures it out and the patients always make it, but not here. The man in the room next door to us, we have gotten to know his wife, mother, and mother-in-law. Today I saw, his wife's mom standing outside the door looking pretty defeated. I stopped and asked if she was ok and how Terry was. She started to cry and told me that he had developed graft vs host disease so bad that the doctors had told them there was only one more medication they had, and if that didn't work he probably wouldn't make it. I said to her " I am so sorry." and she looked at me and said "I know you are" We hugged and she cried and went back in to face the real life drama that there was no House to come and fix. I ran into his wife on my way down stairs and she cried and said she just wanted to go home where he could be with his kids for his last days. Well, what do you say? There are no words. I just hugged her for a moment.
The thing is we have the best transplant doctor in all of Canada, heading the transplant team here. I know when he comes in to see Michael I feel like he can do anything. I know that he can't cause he tells us when he doesn't know, but he is gifted, dedicated and amazing. The nurses that work on this unit are nothing less than the best in their field as well. As guess that's as close to House as we are going to get.

2 comments:

Janae' said...

And he has one very amazing MOTHER!!

arlene said...

No answer is the worst answer. There are too many instances of no answers...but The One with the answer is all we have, and all we need.
And I second what Janae' says. Walking through it with Grace is not easy.